Thursday, April 9, 2009

'Till The Final Buzzer Goes // Chapter Two

I woke up to the sound of the Backstreet Boys blaring from my alarm clock at 8 o'clock on Saturday. 

Fuck, I thought, Forgot to turn that thing off.

After verbally and physically assaulting my alarm clock for going off, I rolled over and got out of bed, mumbling to myself as I tugged on my clothes. I was already up, there was no use in going back to bed now. I pulled a black sweater over my head along with my grey skinny jeans and black Converse and headed out. Not sparing time for my hair or makeup, so I probably looked like crap. I stopped at Starbucks to get my daily breakfast, a tall double skim latté and a cinnamon roll, then headed over to Lisgar High to post the list for the school hockey team. 

When I moved to Chicago, I was 19 years old, and fresh out of high school. I didn't know exactly what I wanted to do yet, so I took a year off from college. Much to the resent of my parents, of course. I needed something to distract me, so I applied for the post of head coach for the hockey team of a local high school. 

Hockey had always been a big part of my life, and I could always find comfort in the game. It seemed so practical at the time, coaching kids just a couple years younger than me with aspirations of making it to the big league, that I signed up within a second. And after that, I fell in love with the job so much, that they asked me to be a permanent position as head coach, fully equipped with a pay check every week. Ca-Ching.

I walked down the high school halls to where I was supposed to post the list. There waiting were a group of boys, anxiously waiting to find out if they made the cut. I smiled at Colin, the captain of the team last year and posted up the names.

"Hey," Colin greeted me as we heard grunts and cheers as people started walking away from the board. "I was wondering, you're friends with the Hawks right?"
"Yeah, most of them"
"Well, I was talking to Andrew, and he suggested that maybe it'd be a good idea to have some of them come to practice sometime. Y'know, help the freshman out."
"That sounds like a good idea, I'll call up Pat later and ask him to help out."
"Whatta bout that Toews guy?" Colin asked suggestively. Oh yes, he knew.

I felt my cheeks flush as his name what brought up. God, why does that always happen?! 

"Don't push it, Col." I said, shoving him a bit, "I'll see what I can do." I turned around and started heading back to my car.
"There's always bribery!" Colin yelled after me, "Flash him a little ass and I'm sure he'll say yes in no time!"

I couldn't help but laugh at this, even if it did make me a little bitter. Gotta love that kid. 

I walked over to my car, parked in the usual spot. Fuck, I thought looking at the windshield, I could see a little white piece of paper sticking out from the wipers, That's the second one this week. I pulled the ticket from the car to see WHAT in Gods name I could've possibly gotten a ticket for this time, only to see that it wasn't a ticket at all, it was a note. And I could recognize the third grade imitation writing anywhere;

Kay,
Meet me at my place after practice, I have secrets to share ;)
- Pat.

I rolled my eyes as I hopped into the car and looked at my watch. 12:00. I figured the skate was over and headed to Pat's house, wondering what in the world he could want from me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment