Thursday, April 2, 2009

Till The Final Buzzer // Chapter One

I closed the car door behind me as I made my way into the arena to watch practice, once again. I've only been living in Chicago for two months, but I've seemed to make myself at home at the United Center. I'd spent the last five years of my life living in Pittsburgh with my Penguin brother, Kris LeTang. Since breaking up with my long time boyfriend I needed to start over, and I couldn't think of a better place than Chicago, where I only knew a handful of people. One of those people was Patrick Kane, who has been my best friend since first grade. He helped me get settled in the city, and introduced me to his teammates who would eventually become like brothers to me.

"Come on, Kayleigh!" Patrick yelled at me from ten feet away, "I'm going to be late!"
"Coming!" I yelled back.

I scurried over to my friend who was waiting for me impatiently by the doors to the arena. We bolted through the doors to the locker room, where I found a roomful of shirtless guys listening to Quenneville go over today's practice routine. I gulped as I saw Jonathan Toews get up and walk by me to get his practice jersey, shooting me a sheepish smile as he passed by. I said goodbye to Pat and went to find my regular seat in the stands, quickly getting away before I would do something embarrassing in front of Jonathan. There waiting for me was my almost-sister, Serena, talking to someone in a bubbly tone over the phone. She waved me over as she finished her call and set down her White Mocha.

"Hey!" She said, sounding ecstatic.
"Hey," I smiled and took a seat next to her, "Who were you talking to?"
"Jason," She gushed. "He was inviting me to dinner, since he's in town tonight."

Serena had been dating Jason Spezza for three months now, all thanks to me introducing them at a charity even in Ottawa. She was head-over-heels for him, but there was something about Jason that made me think he wasn't the most loyal boyfriend.

"Oh, have fun!" I said.
"So, what about you and your secret lover? Any progress?" She asked.
"Um, no," I muttered, "Not at all, really" I sighed seeing Jonathan skate by.
"Well, just tell me when you two hook up in the locker room showers" She said.

I nearly spilled my coffee all over myself when I heard this.

"Ha! As if, he barely talks to me!" I said with a laugh.

"Hm, well, a little birdy told me he likes you" Serena said with a smile.

"Dumb bird," I muttered.

He couldn't, could he? I thought.

1 comment:

  1. aha, I love the ending "dumb bird," ;]

    This is really good so far.
    Can't wait to see what you've got planned.

    ReplyDelete