Sunday, April 19, 2009

Till The Final Buzzer // Chapter Three

I pulled into Pat's driveway only to be greeted my Adam Burish running frantically towards my car. I laughed and hopped out to give him a hug. 

"Hey Adam, do you know what this big secret is?" I asked with an eyebrow raised.
"What do you mean miss Kayleigh, I know nothing if the sort." he said amused.

I just shoved him, and walked into Pat's place. Patrick was sitting on the couch with Brent Seabrook, watching ESPN and eating some form of icecream sundae. It did NOT look appetizing. I plopped down next to Pat on the couch, and grabbed a spoonful of his sundae. I was right, it was disgusting. 

"Was the big secret the fact that you can't make decent sundae's" I asked laughing.
"Nooooooo," Pat said with a smile on his face.
"Spill it, Kane" I said, shoving him a bit.
"Ow, well, that's going to bruise," Patrick said rubbing his elbow.
"Are you going to tell me or am I going to have to guess?" I asked.
"Guess."
"You're gay." I said completely straight-faced.
Patrick spat out his sundae and burst out laughing, falling off of the couch. He was crying he was laughing so hard. When he had finally collected himself, he sat up and told me that wasn't right either.

"I don't like the direction of this conversation, so I'm just going to tell you." Pat said.
"Okay, shoot."

Just as Patrick opened his mouth to speak, Jonathan walked into the house. I felt my stomach get tied up in knots as he smiled sheepishly at me and sat down next to me on the couch.

"Jonny!" Patrick yelped, "You're just in time for the news!"
"Okay, Patrick, enough procrastinating, what is it?" I snapped.
"Seabs here," he elbowed Brent in the stomach, "Wants to take you out to dinner sometime."

I felt Jonathan tense up next to me, and Brent and I both turned a deep color of red. I didn't know what to say, Brent and I had always been good friends, but I didn't really think of him that way, and I couldn't get my mind off of Jon, who was unusually quiet all of the sudden. Subtly, he leaned over and whispered into my ear: "Don't do it." His hand snuck down to mine and held it tight. My pulse was racing, and I just desperately wanted to lean over and hug Jon. But now was not the time. 

"Uh, well," I heard myself stutter to Brent.

What do I say?

No comments:

Post a Comment